Buenos Dias a todos
Got my first charley horse this week. I always thought I knew
what one felt like, like a really bad cramp that hurt, but oh no. I woke up in
the middle of the night this week and it was suuuppper painful. Never felt any
kind of cramp like that, so I'm assuming that it's really a charley horse. Took
like 3 days to die down to, the same day I got it, I was limping around
everywhere, because it hurt to straighten my leg. Weird
So for the first time in a long time, I weight more, yay I'm
getting fatter. I way 155 pounds now, compared to 140, and I am getting a
little pot belly. I use to always laugh how I don't how muffin tops, but ya now
I do, and a little pot belly. Ill
be sure to send home a pregnancy photo at 9 months to show you its progress,
its hauling by the way.
Always knew that guanacaste was a cheap area, but someone
explained to me that lots of the neighborhoods were free houses given by the
government about 10 years back. My area, which includes Corazon de Jesus, Las
Brisas, Buenos Aires ,
y Hicaro, all were neighborhoods where all the houses were free to anyone,
expect Hicaro. All the people moved in for free, and only have to pay the
lights or the water. Not all areas in Costa Rica are like that, but it explains
why my area is so poor.
So many of the youth here seem so young, but when I ask turn out
to be around 19 or 21. It's weird to see them from a perspective as a youth
living in their house with their parents when I'm here as a missionary,
compared to me being one of the youth. They think I'm about 24 or 25, but when
they realize I'm only 18 it's a shocker to them to. Weird to think of them
dropping their lives at that age and time of their life and going to some other
country. I never understood completely why the lord sends missionaries at such
a young age, but it's definitely a miracle that people this young can be so effective.
So I always thought that the United
States was a "god fearing country" but compared
to Costa Rica , I can
understand now when mom and dad say that the USA has drifted away from its moral
standards being a Christian country. Here. Any person, religious or not, will
go on and on talking about Jesus Christ or how great heavenly father is
and our purpose here on the earth, and hardly anyone in the US does that. Costa Rica
definitely is a god fearing country.
There's one lesson that everyone always bears testimony about, that's
hard to completely live, but I hear it all the time. I can't control everything.
My companion, the investigators, everything is out of my control, except for
myself. It's an easy lesson to learn, but a hard lesson to accept and live
being on a mission. Guess I have plenty of time to let that soak in to.
Reading scriptures and my P blessing, I know that this is a
challenge that will help build me. I also know there isn't a challenge that I won't
be able to handle, so I just have to hang in there.
Trying to find ways here on the mission to let the savior step
in and help me with my mentality. It's kind of vague to "let the savior
step in", so I've been trying to do what I think would fit into that
category. Praying, reading scriptures, studying, and serving with that idea
specifically in mind. I've also been trying to follow the example of Christ for
everything I do here, but it's a really slow progress. I'm curious what that
phrase means for all you reading this letter. If you'd be willing to share your
insights being a little clearer about how you have accessed the enabling power
of Christ, I would love to hear your input. Thanks!
Had a good experience with an investigator named Luis? He is the
boyfriend of a member and we have been teaching him the past couple weeks. He hasn't
been progressing too rapidly, and we are still lacking a few themes to teach
him. We had a branch night last week and invited them to come. Surprisingly
they did. The theme was about gratitude and for part of the lesson; we went
around in a circle and asked everyone to share one thing that they are grateful
for. When it came to time for Luis to say something, he said I'm so grateful
for the change that has recently started to come over my life. We didn't think
that Luis was progressing or taking anything in, but after that comment, and
the lesson we had with him the night after, I know understand how much talking
and serving him has helped him change, even if we didn't see it very well at
the start.
Anyways, things are going good, slowly learning, and hanging in
there with everything I got. Till next week!






